News of the New York Yankees’ recent free-agent signings of pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett for an astounding $243 million got us thinking.
What could be done with $243 million if it weren’t being used to try and buy the Yankees a pennant?
Here are 10 other things $243 million could buy you.
1. 810,000 20-gig iPods. Source: Macworld
2. Safe water for 8.1 million people. Source: wateraidamerica.org
3. 8,457 weddings. Source: costofwedding.com
4. A 1.6 percent stake in Facebook Inc. Source: MSNBC
5. 14,647 Smart cars. Source: automotive.com
6. Eight old Yankee Stadiums (adjusted for inflation). Sources: Wikipedia, Inflation Calculator
7. 4,959 teachers. Source: Indeed
8. Food, clothing and education for 69,191 children in a third world country for a year. Source: worldvision.org
9. A monthly subway pass for 36 percent of New York City’s residents (3 million). Sources: Wikipedia, NYC.gov
10. Enough copies of Meat Loaf’s “Bat Out of Hell” (15.1 million) to make it the best-selling album of all time. Source: Infoplease