Good gifting, a term used to describe the practice of donating money to charitable organizations in lieu of buying friends and family holiday gifts, has become something of a buzz word of late.
For a good reason.
If you are looking to really make a difference this holiday season by “good gifting,” why not give at least half of what you would normally spend on gifts to charitable organizations? Need some ideas of where you can give? Here are 10 we like a whole lot. Feel free to add more in the comments section.
1. Water Aid America is an international non-profit organization dedicated to helping people escape the poverty and disease caused by living without safe water and sanitation.
2. Nothing But Nets is a charitable organization, supported by the United Nations Foundation, which aims to prevent African children from dying of malaria by purchasing, distributing and teaching the proper use of mosquito bed nets.
3. International Justice Mission is a U.S.-based Christian non-profit human rights organization that operates in countries all over the world to rescue victims of individual human rights abuse, working to combat human trafficking, forced labor slavery, illegal detention, unprosecuted rape, police brutality and illegal land seizure.
4. Oxfam America is a confederation of 13 organizations working with over 3,000 partners in more than 100 countries to find lasting solutions to poverty and injustice.
5. Autism Speaks is an autism advocacy organization that sponsors autism research and conducts awareness and outreach activities aimed at families, governments, and the public.
6. To Write Love On Her Arms is an American non-profit organization which aims to present hope and find help for people struggling with problems such as depression, drug addiction, self-injury, and suicide.
7. Heifer International is a nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to relieving global hunger and poverty.
8. Bread For The World is a non-partisan, Christian citizens’ movement in the United States to end hunger.
9. Amnesty International is an international non-governmental organization that defines its mission as “to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated.”
10. Soles 4 Souls has a simple mission: To impact as many lives as possible with the gift of shoes.